Looking for easy dinner ideas? This simple but delicious tomato cream rigatoni is a weeknight meal that’s perfect.
- 2 tablespoons olive oils
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 x 400g 14oz canned chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- Optional: pinch of sugar
- 1/2 cup whipping/heavy Cream
- Salt & pepper to your liking
- 500g 1lb rigatoni, boiled (reserve 1 cup cooking water).
- Basil and Parmesan to Serve
- Combine the butter and olive oil, and cook the onions until tender and translucent.
- Sauté the garlic for 30 seconds, then add the chopped tomatoes.
- Add 1/2 cup water to the tomato can. Then, pour the contents into the pot.
- Add sugar, salt, and pepper to the saucepan. Let it simmer for five minutes.
- Add the cream to the saucepan and simmer for 5 more minutes. Blend until smooth (optional).
- Stir the cooked rigatoni into the pasta sauce. To make the sauce even creamier, add some of the reserved cooking water.
- Top with fresh basil leaves and grated Parmesan.
You can add protein to your meal by adding cooked chicken, shrimp (prawns), or bacon. To add more vegetables, you can add wilted spinach or kale.