Chicken in wine is a classic dinner-party favorite for good reason. It’s easy to prepare and delicious.
- 1kg chicken pieces (we like legs, thighs and whole chickens but a whole one is fine too).
- 250g baby onions, peeled
- 250g carrots, peeled into rounds of 3cm-4cm.
- 200g small button mushrooms
- 120g smoked bacon cubes, or 2 TBs rich miso paste
- A small bunch of thyme tied with some string
- 1 head garlic, cloves cut off whole and left unpeeled
- 250ml red wine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the chicken skin side down in a large saucepan or skillet over medium heat. Season the pan with salt and pepper. Allow the fat to render for 10-15 minutes until the skin becomes crispy and golden brown. Flip the pieces over and continue flipping for 5 more minutes.
- Place the chicken on a plate and then add the onion and carrot slices to the same skillet.
- Add the mushrooms and color. Cook for a while, then add the vegetables to the pan with the chicken. Mix the bacon in the same pan. Return everything to the saucepan. The red wine, garlic cloves, and the bundle of rosemary should be added to the pan. Season with salt and pepper, and then reduce heat to medium.
- Cook the mixture for 40 minutes covered in a pot. Cover the pot and let it cool for 40 minutes.