Baked chicken Parmesan is tender, juicy and crispy inside. This Italian classic is loved by both adults and children.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Onion – Peeled and finely diced
- 1 clove garlic – minced
- 14 oz (400g) passata
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 Large chicken breasts
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp plain all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cups (75g) panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp paprika (optional, but gives breaded chicken a beautiful rich colour).
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup (75g), finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ball (4.4oz or 125g) mozzarella – sliced
- 1/4 tsp dried Oregano
- cooked spaghetti
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F. Place a large baking dish on one side.
- Begin with the marinara sauce. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Stir in the onion and cook for 5-6 mins, stirring occasionally until softened.
- Cook the garlic for one more minute.
- Add the sugar, oregano, and passata. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- While the chicken is being prepared, you can prepare the rest of your meal. Lay the chicken breasts flat onto a board. Slice the middle in half so that you have four equal-sized thin fillets. Dust both sides with flour.
- Mix the eggs in a bowl. Give them a quick stir.
- In a separate bowl, combine the panko and olive oil. Mix until panko is well coated with oil.
- Dip the chicken fillets in the egg, and then coat them with the breadcrumbs. Place the fillets in a large baking dish. Repeat with the rest of the chicken fillets.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until breadcrumbs are lightly browned.
- Place the chicken in a baking tray and add 3/4 of the marinara sauce to the top. Use a spatula to lift each piece of chicken so that the sauce covers the entire dish.
- Add the marinara sauce to the chicken fillets. Place the mozzarella slices on top of your chicken. Sprinkle on the remaining marinara sauce and dried oregano.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Before serving, add the cooked spaghetti to the chicken and garnish with fresh basil.
Do I have the ability to make it before?
You can. However, you will need to make a few adjustments so that your chicken remains crispy and delicious. First, separate the chicken and the sauce. Then, assemble the pieces and cover with cheese when you are ready to cook. Cool the chicken, then cover with marinara. When the chicken is done, place 3/4 of the marinara sauce on a baking tray. Top the chicken with some sauce and then spoon a bit of it onto each piece. Sprinkle the mozzarella over the top. Bake covered for about 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
Can it be frozen?
You will need to make some changes similar to the make ahead question. The chicken and the sauce should be stored separately. Once the sauce is defrosted, you can assemble the chicken and cover it with cheese. Cool the chicken, then cover with marinara. Once the chicken is cooked, place 3/4 of the marinara sauce on a baking tray. Top the chicken with the remaining sauce and drizzle a little more sauce on each piece. Sprinkle the mozzarella over the top. Bake covered for about 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
Do you have any other sauces?
If I need more sauce, I just add more passata. The rest of the ingredients remain the same. This works well if you only need 50% more sauce. If you want to double the sauce, you will need to double the ingredients in your marinara recipe.
Can it be made gluten-free?
Yes. Use gluten free breadcrumbs (dried or fresh), gluten free plain (all-purpose) flour and gluten free spaghetti.Ensure the passata is gluten free (it often is) and if you’re using ready-grated/shredded cheese, ensure it’s gluten free too (sometimes it has flour in it to stop it from clumping).