Warm, fluffy pancakes will bring smiles to anyone who wakes up in the morning. For quick breakfasts, you can make pancakes ahead of time and freeze them.
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (60mL) cornstarch
- 2 tbsp (30mL) wheat, oat bran, or wheat germ (optional).
- 1 tbsp (15mL) granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon (7.5 mL), baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 mL salt)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250mL) buttermilk, or soured 2% Milk*
- 2 TBSP (30 mL), vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) vanilla extract
- Optional: Fresh berries and chopped fruits
- Maple syrup (optional).
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch and bran. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, milk oil, vanilla, and vanilla. Just mix the egg mixture with the dry ingredients until it is well combined.
- Spray large nonstick skillets with cooking spray. Heat on medium heat. Place 1/4 cup (50ml) batter into a pancake pan. Spread batter lightly. Cook for 2 minutes or until bubbles form on the surface. Cook the second side until it is lightly browned, approximately 1 minute.
- Serve immediately, or warm the batter while you prepare the rest. If desired, top with fresh berries or syrup.
*To make sour milk, add 1 tbsp (15mL) vinegar to a measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1 cup (250mL).
Make pancakes ahead of time and freeze them. Then, reheat in the microwave.